Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I did it.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal 6:9

Well, I did it. I went for a run/walk again today.  I don't know about you but it's one thing to start something and another to be faithful to it.

Christmas break began for my boys. I was spent. Exhausted. My family's Christmas and some rest was what I thought was the answer. For the next two weeks most of my commitments would stop- even my work hours would diminish due to college students home for break. As I spoke one day with my sister, I heaved a sigh, "I am sooo looking forward to this break... I need this."

"Schell, you need to get some exercise. You'll feel so much better."  Deep down I knew she was right.  I hated it. Exercise, I mean.  I've tried before.  Due in part to my type "AAA," control freak, anxiety prone personality, I haven't changed clothing size too much (other than when pregnant).  However, the "thickness" gathering at my waist was only a reflection of my unhealthy spirit.  And in my exhaustion, I knew she was right.

So in desperation, I de-cluttered the treadmill and hopped on. Choosing a walk/run program that was far more walk than run, I began. Slow at first.  I was glad I wasn't out on the school yard running a mile with kids- 'cause I felt like the kindergartners would have blown by me.  Isn't that one of the things that hinders us in exercise...  and in exercising our faith?  "What if I look dumb? What will people think? What if I fail?  What if I can't?  What if..." And so we quit, or never start.

In exercising both our bodies & our faith we need encouragement.  In the Old Testament, there is a story of Asa, King of Judah, who was faced with what was best or what was easiest.  Choosing what has best would take exercising his faith- boldly doing what was unpopular.   God sent encouragement through the prophet Azariah, to pump him up, saying: "But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be reward,”(2 Chron 15:7) Kent, my husband, has encouraged me not to give up. I try to encourage him. He too, has resumed a workout after a long hiatus.  

The Apostle Paul, likened living our faith to a race. I get that.  Not in the speed ('cause the kindergartners would win), but in the endurance.  To keep going.  It's hard sometimes.  Eph 6:13 talks about being able to stand your ground. "...having done everything, to stand." When working out, often I have to change my pace.  Slow down, or stop for a bit- and that's okay.  'Cause, as with faith, I think the point is not to lose ground.

So, what's in it for me?  Much! The Apostle Paul wrote about our receiving a reward- a crown of life.  That word for crown means that of a victor, not royalty.  This wreath twisted with perhaps ivy, laurel  or oak signified reward and victory for those competing according to the rules (2 Ti 2:5).  I wonder if we need to remember that our reward is the results that come from the race- strength, endurance... a healthier pulse.  Now, I'm not saying the scale has changed- but my endurance, attitude, & spirit has improved greatly.  In the midst of strengthening my body, my spirit is also strengthening.  Even on the very grind of the treadmill, I can learn some of the eternal truths of the life Christ came to bring.

So far I've continued; reaping the rewards of it.  I'm learning it's about doing it- finishing what I started.   When I say "I did it." I mean I've come out a victor... that day.

No comments: