Friday, January 10, 2014

I hate it when...


I hate it when I have to get water from the sink because my fridge's filtered water dispenser is broken.


I do hate it. But, it's bound to happen when the temperature is -50 below zero and the front door is blown open in the middle of the night. At that temp it doesn't take long to freeze anything in it's path; like refrigerator pipes.  Well, that is, until the door is shut, the heat is cranked up and the house begins to warm; and along with it....the pipes.   

"Michelle... We have a problem!" 


The biting cold was palpable as I grabbed my thick robe. Scrambling to the kitchen I heard it too; running water. By 4:00am the kitchen floor was like a lake rising at mid-tide. Half of our kitchen stood covered in water.  With a quick trip to the basement and a twist of the wrist we shut off the flow of water to the refrigerator.  We worked quickly sopping up the frigid water swirling at our toes. With ears strained we listened intently for any other sign of leakage, we swept up the last of the ice crystals in the front entryway. 

Although cold and shaken, we were safe, sheltered from the cold, and amply fed. In the midst of a sound sleep, the Lord had not only woken Kent once, but twice. As we finished cleaning, Kent and I gave thanks. We had been spared. It could have been so much worse. In the end, the only lasting effect would be life- for a bit -without filtered water from the refrigerator.

 A problem?...  not really. A trial?.... hardly

From a global perspective, I know most of the trials I have encounter are 1st world problems; mere inconveniences, at best.

For so much of the world, the word "trials" lends itself to far graver consequences. 

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness (perseverance), And let steadfastness have its full effect that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" James 1:2-4


It is believed that when James wrote persuading his readers to consider that their trials could be looked at as opportunities to strengthen and mature their faith, many of his fellow Christians were enduring trials of the gravest sort, including life threatening persecution. I have often been awe of the stories of faith that have been captured of believers who live a midst trials such as those. The steadfastness of their faith radiates a strength of conviction. Perhaps that is what James is referring to as lacking nothing; complete.

So does that rule out those whose trials are more 1st world than 3rd?  I don't think so. 


I love that when James wrote about trials he widened the breadth to include various kinds. What if his challenge was to consider the trial- whether critical or inconvenient- as an opportunity to grow us in our faith? As I sought pictures to relay my tale, I was humbled. Countless images told stories of greater damage and more desolate issues. Who are we to have been alerted and damage minimized?  So I do consider our cold, wet, inconvenience joy;  I am grateful, for it reminded us that God Is and He moves.

"God our Father, you are El Roi, the God Who Sees.  Thank you that you know what it is that we struggle with; you are aware of our dreams, our desires, and our devastation. Remind us that that we are not alone. And please open our eyes to see you and how you you are able to use whatever life bring our way to trust you more.   Amen"






No comments: