Saturday, March 29, 2014

Radical Life in the Grind

Yesterday in 8th grade Social Studies, after discussing the Dark Ages, I asked if anyone would want to have lived during that time.  One student replied flippantly, 
"Yolo, man.- You only live once!"  
The youth cry Yolo in defiance- seeking to gratify their own desires- for they only live once. With more than words, he expressed a common belief: that this is all there is- so gratify your desires @ whatever the cost! I cringed.  Probably not from what you think. I know that is a common motto of those in this world. Jesus came to save the very ones that cry that out.

My cringe comes from knowing that the video to which he referred reveals another truth in many of our hearts- especially those, like me, who have lived over 40+ years, and many of whom claim faith. We chose responsible and prudent to shroud ourselves in safety and self preservation; justifying our behavior as "You only live once!"   Regardless we deceive ourselves- in one we worship our desires, in the second our self-sufficiency. Neither is what Christ calls us to.
"Whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it..." Mt 16:25
This morning I had no intention of writing a blog. But armed with a steaming cup 'o joe beside me, I had settled in to prepare for an upcoming ladies brunch.  I punched in the keys: L- o- v- i- n- g- -L- i- f- e- -i- n- -t- h- e- -G- r- i- n- d. 


As I often do, I scanned over a few of the listings that share words in this blog's title. This time, one caught my eye. 

       Hesitantly I began to listen...

                 And then, I couldn't stop:


“Come, let’s go....” 1 Samuel 14:6

I hope you caught this guy's balance beam analogy starting @ 15:45. If not, do it now.

We only Live once on this earth... and I want to do it well!  


I'm sure you do too.

What if, because of our absolute confidence in God's ability and power, we took this one life we have to live upon this earth and chose leave our caves of self protection and safety. What if, regardless of what the LORD asks of us we were like Johnathan, saying, "Come, let's go..."   Or, what if like his armor bearer, obedience was our goal; we lived so identified by whom we serve, that our every response is yes-  I am "with you, LORD, heart and soul."


Johnathan and his servant lived (radically/full/YOLO) that day.  But it wasn't out of fear or fatalism...  but faith.
           "Faiththe absolute belief that God is in control; Sovereign.   
Choices made based upon that Faith result in  Obedience.  

Radical Living- the evidence or proof of every Christ follower- that the Gospel is more valuable than his or her own life."
-Mike Drury, Pastor of Pine Hills Church


What if, perhaps, Radical Living was knowing you only live once in these earthly tents we call bodies?  And what if we did lived that one life radically believing the Gospel had more value than our very life?  


Now that, I believe, would be called truly living.


"Forgive me LORD for not believing you got all this. God, want to believe you are Sovereign- nothing is beyond your grasp. Show me that you are able. Give me courage to obey when you get into my business- knowing you are teaching me how to live LIFE in the grind more radically. You are faithful even when I am faithless; help me believe and live the belief that in you all things are impossible." 


No comments: