Saturday, February 11, 2012

SodaJerk

A "SodaJerk"... and that would be listed under....

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Gal 1:10).  

I recently was invited to link into a networking site for professionals. As I began filling out the information and checking boxes I became acutely aware that "SodaJerk" and "Ministry" didn't qualify in the endless list of professional vocations.  Ministry didn't have a listing other than "Religious Institution" and that didn't fit.  And really... I'm not employed to minister.  I'm employed as a server.  A waitress.  I waitress so I can minister. As I scrolled through the listings there really didn't seem to be a professional listing for that! 

As I continued, the option came available to link with my high school, college, & vocational alumni.  I couldn't help but ask myself, "What would they think?"  In the quest for success, how had I done? Would the readers laugh? No title. No desk. No 401k.  I had aspired to make movies with best- and now found myself making malts- for the least of these. I declined to connect.  Nothing seemed to fit.

Now I wasn't discouraged.  I wasn't embarrassed. I laughed, really.  The reality was, is that that two paradigms collided.  If I believe my success was based upon the World, Wall Street, or the make and model of my vehicle, the answer would be- I have not done well. But, when I look around and see the people's lives who are being changed by the Holy Spirit at that little ice cream shop I am reminded that God uses the foolish things to confound the wise.(1 Cor 1:27 )

In 2009, I wrote the following:
"Over the past year of so, the opportunity to minister and pray for others has opened my eyes to the [Holy] Spirit's moving.  I took the job [at the MinneSoda Fountain] glad for the hours that accommodated motherhood & the ministries I was involved in.  I had often spoke about how God calls many of us to minister within the very vocation we are at.  
"...I will make you fishers of men" Jesus said to fishermen. (Mt 4:19)  Same vocation- different focus. Little did I know how real that would become to me. I even fought it. I thought, "If I'm [feeling called] ministry, it should be [religious] occupational .... something bigger"   
But perhaps, I can, at this time take quite literally Jesus command to serve.  That's what I do.  Once or twice I've been known to call myself a SodaJerk for Jesus.  I know, probably corny- but that's it. It has been exciting to watch God move at the [MinneSoda] Fountain , as I'm sure he does elsewhere.  For now, I keep my eyes open watching and waiting for Him to move."


And move, God has. He moves in and through the people that enter it's doors. And I believe, for now, it's where I'm called to be.  God has taught me humility, service, trust, boldness, and the power of prayer among many other things.  People come hungry.... and often I have been privileged to see them leave, spiritually fed.

Jesus said to fishermen, "Come follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Mt 4:19)  Now, fishing's not my vocation.  In fact, the only thing I like about fishing, is the time I spend with my dad waiting for fish to bite.  No, fishing's not for me. So,"fisher of men" doesn't seem to fit.  But SodaJerk does. It's not flashy.  No desk. No title. No 401k. It's not even listed on networking sites.
"I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."(Psm 84:10)  
I'm called to be a servant to people that are hungry... what is God calling you to be?

Those who have ears let them hear.














No comments: