Sunday, January 29, 2012

No Matter What (NMW)

As we get thrown into the busyness of life- take a moment today to remember- GOD LOVES YOU NO MATTER WHAT (NMW).  

Really.  He loves you… not because he has to-
                                                             but because he wants to… 
                                
                                                        He likes you too.  
                                                                 
Today do you BELIEVE 
                               He is PROVIDER
                                                  DEFENDER
                                                            your REST
                                                                and your STRENGTH?

He tells his people “I LOVE YOU… YOU ARE MINE…” (Is 43:1)  Read his love letter to you.  
                 It will remind you that he loves his people and all he asks from them is obedience. (Jn15:10)


He DEMONSTRATES his love.  He did through his life, death, and resurrection.  He forgives.  He heals.  He hears your cries.  And he acts.  His Holy Spirit acts today as we pray. 


As I write this, I think that’s all good..  I want all that for me.  I want His love and compassion.  I want Him to love me NMW (no matter what).  And I am so thankful for it.  

And then something happens... 
                      I am wronged,
                                      it could be anything,
                                                   or nothing at all.  
                
People let me down 
              or don't live up to my expectations
                           and my desire to love  them like God want me to love...  
                                       well, seems  to get lost in the steam of my emotion.


Yes, God loves me NMW, but, in the midst of my unforgiveness- a truth convicts me.
“For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others than you Father will not forgive you your transgressions.” (Mt 6:14-15) 
Look at those words!  We are told us that God will show us the same portion of mercy and forgiveness that we show others

I was at my youngest 5th grade basketball game this weekend.  
As I sat in the stands and listened to the referee I was struck by his calls on the players.  He was fair.  They knew the rules, and if they didn't he was kind enough to explain why.   Oh, some of those boys wondered why?  You could see the disbelief and wonder as the whistle was blown.  When they didn't know why, the ref would explain and then make the call.  Ignorance or emotion did not justify the action.  The Ref never asked why, simply- the foul was made, and the consequence came.  

I had to laugh.  One of the players, shoved an opponent out of bounds.  Mom was sure it was unintentional.  An accident.  When asked, the player replied "I didn't mean to."  Yet, the coach knew.  He had seen that look before.  A desire, a passion to retaliate. Intension.   Don't you think sometimes we're like the players on the court.  We cloud our choices (our fouls) with reasons and feelings.  We justify the action because of our emotion.  

My stupid pride gets in the way,
       I rationalize unforgiveness & make excuses
                                       "They deserved it, "   
                                                                I think.
                                                                                  But really... 
                                                                                                 well, “I just don’t want to.”   


We’re sinners- I don’t say it to hurt anybody's feelings.  But it's true.  Sin means to fall short of the Mark.  The Mark is God's perfection.  We, (well perhaps I should speak for myself) I know I fall short of God's perfection alot.   The whistle blows.  My heart is convicted. 


Perhaps you don't suffer from it, but I find  that I do.  In fact, again this morning, I knew in my gut that I had made excuses  and not been obedient to a phone call I knew I should have made the day before.   During worship, I confessed.  I agreed with God that I messed up and asked for forgiveness.  I believe that he is faithful to forgive a repentant heart.  It was really quite freeing. Have you ever thought of confession as a gift.  What a gift that God loves his children so much that they can run to him with their failures, and he accepts and forgives them. Yup, we’re sinners… fouling up on the basketball court of life, but I am so thankful that God’s forgiveness, grace, and love is available to all who ask. 

He asks us to surrender our PRIDE; 
                              to trust Him
                                      to obey Him

And He forgives us, revealing the measure of His love for us.
     And as we begin to realize that we are truly loved NMW (No matter what!)   
                     we begin to forgive others, those who have wronged us, as He forgave us,
                              an ultimately we love people; difficult people... just as He loved us-  NMW!


And that good news... is worth sharing today!                            

No comments: