Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's good about Good Friday?

Today He was dead. In a tomb. Sealed.

How is it that 3 days dead can work for good?  A co-worker of mine expressed her how much he disliked the dying part of Easter.  I wonder what the disciples thought. Shocked. Dismayed. Even if they had hoped for him to come back to life- I bet they were past it now. Do you think they wondered,
"This wasn't how it was supposed to be.."
      "What do I do now?"
         
I wonder what Peter thought in those dark days.  Did he think about that conversation during their last supper together.
"While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.” They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”...“You will all fall away,” Jesus told them, ... Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.” “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “today—yes, tonight—before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.” But Peter insisted emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the others said the same". (Mk 14:18-19,27,29-31)
Did regret fill his mind- realizing he chose fear over friendship? Fear over faith.

When I would hear those word of Christ's before- I would hear them with a bit of a bite. But I'm not so sure anymore.  What if Christ was not mad or disappointed. What if he was simply telling Peter the truth. He knew the conviction would be tested. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Mk 14:38.

Jesus knew He was a committed follower of Christ. He'd seen his desire to live obediently- even to the point of stepping out of a boat to walk on the waves!  You've got to give the man credit.  He drew his sword to defend Christ, yet in fear, perhaps disillusionment- he denied Christ, and now Christ was dead.

I find it interesting that so many of the people I've been privileged to walk with in their journey of Faith would attest that the resolve of their Faith was strengthened by persevering a difficult time or trial.
James seemed to find the same to be true: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Ja 1:2-4.

What a trial for Peter. I don't imagine he felt joy. I wouldn't presume to know what went through his mind over those days of darkness-  but this I do see.  God was working in Peters heart.  In the midst of anguish- God was at work!
Tomorrow is Resurrection- Jesus is Alive!
     Jesus is God just as He said! -Nothing is impossible.
                All he said was True!

Jesus seeks him out and shows Peter grace.  Peter is changed. No more doubt- He doesn't just want to follow Christ- There is no holding him back.  May we  too believe Christ is LORD ... and when we live that conviction... there will be no holding us back.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Ro 8:28.  

No comments: