Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two Men walk up to a bar...

MinneSoda Fountain
“Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters. Hasn’t God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith? Aren’t they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him?” Ja 2:5

I was washing dishes- the lunch rush was over.  Two men bellied up to the bar. That is, our ice cream counter. The younger one, maybe mid- twenties, was looking for a bite to eat. He looked like he stepped out of Berkley College. Everything about him radiated his copious amounts of knowledge regarding history and politics.  The second man looked much older-rough; life had not been kind. His hands & clothes were dirty.  As I look back, it might not have been that he was so much older; just perhaps that the trials of life had multiplied his years- etching time deeper in his weathered frame. Sitting a stools space from me, his pungent smell was evident.

The young man ordered a grilled sandwich, soup, and a cherry coke.  Tab closed- if the other man wanted something, he would be paying for it.   Politely he asked for a cup of coffee.  I entered the order and went back to washing dishes. Spurred on by trivia questions, the younger man endlessly spouted knowledge.  He seemed to know all the questions and have all the answers. He didn’t seek my opinion, so I didn’t give it.  The older man, however, began to chit-chat.  He began to ask questions; which although common, I became hesitant to answer.  He's …out of work… poor... I had judged him unsafe so I stopped talking, afraid of giving out too much information. I looked away dismissively.

After they had left, the words of James 2:1-4 echoed in my ears: “… how can you claim to have faith in Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?  … suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in dirty clothes. If you give special attention …to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, “You can … sit on the floor”—well, doesn’t this ... you’re … guided by evil motives? “NLT

I had judged him. God knew the arrogance and fear in my heart and called me on it. Favoritism is sin. (Ja 2: 8) And I knew it.

 “Poor” means completely lacking resources- nothing to offer.  Like a poor man, we have nothing to offer God that He does not already have in abundance!  He is the Giver of all Good Gifts. Everything we have been given is from Him: our strengths, talents, & abilities. They are gifts given to you to enjoy- bringing glory to God. 

Many of us think we have to bring something to table to be acceptable to God. We strive to accomplish; we try. We think we must measure up. But we don’t.  There is nothing you can do that will make God love you more.  He loves us- not because we have anything to offer- simply because we are. James gives us a prescription: “Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.”  Ja 2:13

Showing mercy to those who are poor- physically helping those who have nothing to offer-   reminds us of Christ’s love for us and spreads the good news that God loves them too. (Lk3:11) The Perfect Son of God never looked in contempt upon the poor and broken.  Jesus said the poor will always be among us. Do you see them?

How did you treat those around you today?  What influenced who you spoke with and how you looked at them? 

God forgive me for seeking power & neglecting the poor.  Remind me I can quit trying to be good enough to earn your love. I need to come to you poor in Spirit- because I can’t save myself. But You can. Teach me to trust you.  Change my heart to see that you love the poor.  Use me to share your love for them- by sharing what you have given me.

Next time I’m prone to judge like that, I hope I remember that lesson…  offering one gift I been given to share in abundance... a bit of chit chat to go with his coffee!

”This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” 1 Jn 3:16-18

No comments: