Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Bit of "Bling" for Guatemala

Socks crocheted with a bit of "Bling"
"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." Ja 1:27

My friend Sherry, had just finished listening to Kay tell about her mission trip to Jamaica for a vision clinic. Sherry said the internal battle that raged within her was palpable. Her daughter was deeply involved in Guatemalan missions team and had been there many times. Every time Sherry had a reason not to. Until now. The Holy Spirit used Kay's presentation to wrestle and defeat every excuse Sherry had held as legitimate. Her aging mother's care.... "Go." responsibilities... "Go."  
“What is God calling me to?” “What does he want from me?” I have heard so many women ask those questions as they looking for God's purpose for them. They are so thankful, as they begin to see how God has so blessed them, that they want to do something for God... but wonder what it is. 

I'm reading David Platt's Radical. In chapter 4 he reveals that we've got why of God mixed up. In context with western culture we seem to think that God blesses us... for us- our benefit. As if blessing me were God's greatest end goal. When I write it- it seems silly to even think. David Platt reminds us that in the great Why of God the focus is not on “me.”

“The message of biblical Christianity is not “God loves me, period,” as if we were the object of our own faith. The message of biblical Christianity is “God loves me so that I might make him--his ways, his salvation, his glory, and his greatness-- known among all nations.” Now God is the object of our faith, and Christianity centers around him. We are not the end of the gospel; God is. God centers on himself, even in our salvation. Remember his words in Ezekiel 36:22-23 he saves us, “not for our sake, but for the sake of his holy name.” We have received salvation so that his name will be proclaimed in all the nations. God loves us for his sake in the world.” P 70-71
After a decision "strictly out of obedience, not desire" to go to Guatemala by one member wrote:“After spending a week around precious children who eat a small cup of porridge a day, the question I have come back to asking God is why he has blessed me when others have so little. And this is what God has shown me: “I have blessed you for my glory. Not so you will have a comfortable life with a big house and a nice car. Not so you can spend lots of money on vacations, education, or clothing. Those aren’t bad things, but I’ve blessed you so that the nations will know me and see my glory.” All my life I have completely disconnected God’s blessings from God’s purpose, and now I realize what I had never seen. God has blessed me… so that all the earth will see his glory!” p84.
We enjoy the privileges of Christianity, but have we neglected our obligation of revealing his glory to the world?   


2008 Crimea, Ukraine
 I know I did. 

With only a local vision, I struggled and gave excuses "What about those in need here?" I would argue.  

Then in 2008, God told me to "Just Go" on a missions trip to the orphans in Crimea, Ukraine.  There, He opened my eyes to a global perspective. His broader lens of those  showed be a whole world that needs to know Him and see His glory. 

Sherry was planning to head to Guatemala in August. Even, in the midst of preparation God was replacing her local vision with global vision of people who need to know God and see his glory. Knowing she would be ministering to the children who have only known the city dump- alienated by the state and communities that surround it; Sherry set to knitting a bit of "bling" around new little socks for the girls she would encounter. She shared this vision with bible study and there 15 women sat- some knowing, some learning to crochet a bit of love into little socks that could be the only barrier between their feet and the city refuse.

Just after posting this blog I got an email from Sherry. An MRI revealed that the intense back pain she had been having was due to several bulging discs along with nerve pain in her legs. The doctor did not recommend travel. she continues: 
"Of course I was pretty conflicted as to what to do and wondered how this could be when the Lord so clearly led me to go.( I believe that was part of His plan to use me up to the point of going). Friday night I was accepting that perhaps He had other plans and we spent the weekend praying about it. In the meantime my mom's health situation changed and that was a confirmation that I needed to remain here. Then, Monday evening it was discovered that my ticket could be transferred to another person. This is where God showed us His plans. In less 24 hours Lynda S. had her passport updated and she will be going to Guatemala! I am so excited about this. God"s ways are amazing and perfect."
I love it!  When our heart longs after His will, we become willing.  Then, it is His call as to where and in what way we display His glory.
The orphanage Linda and the team will visit!

God has blessed each one of us so that the whole earth will see his glory
So, how do we do that, really?
 1. Thank God for the blessings.
"For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving," 1 Ti 4:4
If you’re not feeling blessed- perhaps it’s time to start a blessing inventory. Each morning journal a list of things you are thankful for- adding new ones each day. Review and add two each night. Do this for a month- a year. Until you are so very aware of the many blessings that God has given you. A dear friend of my recommended the book “ Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are By: Ann Voskamp” for encouragement.
 2. Desire His heart for all the world to know Him.
"And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart." Ez 36:26

 3. Use all He has given you to display His glory to the whole world.
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Mt 5:16

We have been given a purpose. We cannot stop at #1, can we? 

Like my garden- which I have finally weeded- it was planted for a purpose: to bear fruit. I’m watering and caring for it (blessings)- for that very purpose. The plants that don’t bear fruit are a waste- useless. We have been planted in the garden of God’s choosing. What will we do with what we have been given? Will we bear fruit utilizing the blessings given to us or will we waste what we have been given- producing nothing of value? 

O Father, let our time on this planet be well spent. Forgive our belief that your blessing is the reward. Teach us that your blessing are the vehicles for people all over the world will know you and see your glory. Give us open hands and your heart. 

1 comment:

Kay J said...

Oh, Chelle....this one really touched my heart...well said!! I have been meaning to get that book, Radical. I'm not meaning anymore...I will get it! Thanks for always bringing the Lord to my mind and into my heart!!!!!