Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Scarf "Opportunities

What reminds me of a generous heart?

                a scarf.

A dear woman whom I have come to adore; exclaimed
   "Oh, you like it... here, I'd like you to have it." and with that, she removed her scarf- draping it in the hands of the young woman.

I want to do that...choose generosity in opportunities like that; yet, all too often I have chosen stinginess over generosity; worrying for my own needs and wants.  I have justified it as prudence and fiscal responsibility.  "If I had more I could be more generous..." I would tell myself; knowing full well that:

"...the most religious Americans — not the richest — were the most likely to give to charities. and ...Americans who earn between $50,000 and $75,000 annually actually give a higher percentage of their income to charity than those who make $100,000 a year (the percentage is 7.6 percent in the case of the former and 4.2 percent of income in the case of the latter). In some very high income areas of America, very few give anything at all to charity. (http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/12550)

We are the "Rich."  All too often I'm tempted to compare myself to the "haves", rather than the "have nots." Chances are if you’re reading this- you are among the wealthiest of the world. It may not feel like it, but not only our needs of food, clothing, and shelter are met; but many of our wants, as well. If we have 1 of something, we’ve probably got 2 or 3 more. We forget that there are so many in the world who don’t have even one.  Did you know that people with “assets of just $2,200 per adult, place a household in the top half of the world’s wealthiest. To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world, just $61,000 in assets is needed. http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/wealthiest-in-the-world/

I think my first experience with those truly in need was when I was quite young. Our church was responsible for one night a month, serving meals at the Dorothy Day Center, located in downtown Saint Paul. I remember going to prepare and serve those that came through that dining room. Through that discipline of service and compassion, my parents taught me that we should, in a very tangible way, extend the love found in Christ to those who are in need.

John the Baptist preached that a life turned back towards God (repentant) will be shown (proven) by its love for others: “And the crowds were questioning him, saying, “Then what shall we do?”And he would answer and say to them, “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.”And some tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?”And he said to them, “Collect no more than what you have been ordered to.”Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”” Lk 3:10-14

James echoed this reality: our deeds display the evidence or our faith (Ja 2:14-18). He goes on to warn us that our stuff (and stinginess) will stand as evidence of our greed.  he seems to say, “Look, those of you who have put your hope in your wealth… the stuff is rotting! It’s become worthless! Your desire for it has destroyed and damaged others! You’ve wasted what God gave you to invest in his kingdom of Love and Mercy!”  (Ja 5:3.)

I so want to heed his warning. The truth is... I know what I want and should do; but unbelief has for too long won the battle in my head against the truth that God is my provider (Psm 54:4) who owns the cattle on a thousand hills(Psm 50:10). He will supply all my needs from his glorious riches (Phil 4:19) because he knows what I need (Mt 6:32) and cares for me (Psm 23:1).

So I am keeping my eyes open for my own "scarf opportunities."  I know they won't be scarves (I don't know how to knit) however; God has and is giving me opportunities
   where I must listen for his voice whisper ..."give."
When I have chosen generosity- I have gained far more than I have given.  Why, it's almost left me giddy!

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” -Jesus

Father, I thank you that you see my needs and you have provided even more than I need. Please forgive me for not believing you can and will supply for my needs- hording what you have given me to share with others. Remind me of the truth that you are the giver of all good gifts and you ask me to be a giver to others. Show me what I am holding too tightly to? Help me to be patient when life looks unfair; trusting that you are faithful and work all things for good for good(Gal 6:10).Teach me to be faithful to my word; believing you meet my needs. Thank you for what you will do. Amen

No comments: