Sunday, January 8, 2012

I am an avid Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest fan.  Today, (Jan 2nd) it brought me to a statement that commended Abraham's faith-
 "He went out, not knowing where he was going..."  Heb 11:8

Oswald posed the question, " Have you ever "gone out" [like Abraham] in this way? If so, there  is no logical answer possible when anyone asks you what you are doing.  One of the most difficult questions to answer in Christian work is, 'What do you expect to do?' You don't know what you are going to do.  The only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing." 

 I've felt like that.  When I think about the vocation I have chosen, it's not really logical. I work part time as a SodaJerk, waiting tables.  Why? becaue I feel like that is where God wants me to be- ministering to those I work with, and those that come in- hungry. 

Reading about Abraham reminded me of the infamous questions that peppered conversations while celebrating Christmas and New Years this last weekend  with family, "What are your New Year's resolutions?"; "What  are your plans for the New Year?" And, "What will the New Year bring?"

 Some spoke of goals of health and fitness; some of consistency, but one response struck me above others. She said, "I don't know what 2012 will bring....which is OK," she breathed, "because God does." 

Her words reflected her faith. 
"Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things unseen." Heb 11:1
2012 is full of many unknowns.  But how we approach them, I think, will speak volumes as to what really we believe. 

If God is able, why do we worry?
If God is good, why do we not seek Him?
If God is just, why do we seek revenge and hold on to unforgivness?
If God has forgiven us, why do we not rejoice?

This 2012, I want to have faith like that.  Faith to "go out" not knowing where it will take me... but to do it with confidence that God does... and that will be enough.






No comments: